This blog has moved to a new location! http://iqandreas.github.com/

Sunday, April 11, 2010

[Solution] Flash sound stops working in FireFox on Linux Ubuntu 9.10

If you leave the browser open for too long, pretty soon all Flash content on all sites will no longer give off any sounds. Luckily, the fix was easy, just restart FireFox and you will be good as new. However, it still gets REALLY annoying, especially when you have 25+ tabs open (maybe that's what was causing the sound problems after too long?).

This would happen on a completely clean LiveCD system as well as the full installation with the following specs:
Ubuntu Linux 9.10
FireFox 3.5.8 with no extra add-ons installed
Flash Player 10.0.45.2


Instead of debugging and finding the source of the error, I took the easy way out and installed Flash Player 10.1 (currently in Beta I believe?)
http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html

I have been running FP 10.1 for almost two weeks now, and still haven't had any sound problems. :)


I could file a bug report for these old problems, but considering how much Adobe ignores Linux users, I doubt they would go back and update Flash Player 10.0 for these fixes. Instead, I'll file bug reports only if I receive problems in the new version.

See also blog entry Adobe TV crashes FireFox on Ubuntu 9.10

No comments:

Post a Comment